Tuesday, November 20, 2007

 

Major Source of Staff Stress--Other Staff!

We keep hearing that the biggest source of stress in the day-to-day operations of a prison or jail is other staff. What's that about? And how can it be prevented?
The other day we received this email.
I hate to say this, but I found there are plenty of employees who choose to be miserable! It isn't bad enough they chose that for themselves, but they also choose to spread it around to others! This fact can be proven by how many staff often make the statement "It's not the inmates I can't deal with—it’s the staff!" I am in agreement with this statement. Being prepared to work with the prisoners is difficult enough, but to have to constantly deal with the "private agendas" being contrived by staff could best be compared to a bunch of junior high school students experiencing hormonal changes. (Except these are adults I'm talking about!) You just never know what’s coming next...
What is needed for staff to make each other's life easier, not harder, on the job?

Comments:
Oh, God - isn't this the truth?

I started work in corrections totally prepared with my guard up against the inmates - be on the lookout for them and their games, yadda yadda - and got completely blindsighted by the games that staff play.

Wow.

I had dealt with work politics before - but this I was unprepared for. I guess it had not occurred to me when one spends enough time around criminals, one can begin to act like them. And the petty backstabbing is just phenomenal.

For instance, I have one coworker who has been around longer than everyone else and is of course the resident know it all and smug bossy type. She has her moments of being okay, but loves to pull little games of very subtle undermining that look completely innocent but are in fact very damaging. And of course, bullies like this tend to rally for the cause and pit people against one another in the subtlest of ways - oh it's great fun.

I spent the first few years really letting this woman get to me. I dreaded going to work - in our particular little department, our building is on the far side of the yard and until recently other staff didn't come through too often - only inmates. So the staff that does work in there is in there pretty close and cozy. Ugh.

After a while, I realized I was letting this obviously miserable woman, who was so insecure with herself she felt she needed to pull others down, ruin my day. I actually looked forward to getting away from the staff area and into my classroom with the inmates.

At least I know what to expect from inmates. Staff are sneaky.

So I stopped playing her game. I stopped pushing back. When she threw out something meant to undermine me, I just let it go. I stopped letting her get to me.

And there are tons more like her. Many, unfortunately, are in management. Our management is made up of second graders fighting over the bucket in the sandbox.

And do they deal with the inmates? No. We do. They never leave their offices or the admin building.

Let them continue to hack away at each other. More than a few of management's idiotic decisions have directly impacted my sanity and working conditions. I can choose to let it control me or I can try to just do my damn job.
 
In the world of "law enforcement", where you are to "suppose" to be in unity and back each other, I am amazed at the cut-throat, degregation and dis-respect shown to co-workers in a passive-aggressive manner. They say they don't have good leaders to follow... I say... you can be a leader with or without the love of your boss.... Step-up my fellow officers. If you have excess baggage, get some help; Find a mentor because once you think you know all the answers, you and I are both in trouble. If you think you need to be the second judge and jury to inmates, find a different career. I love corrections and the people I work with. I will stand up for you if you do the right thing and I will stand up for you if you stand up for yourself. Submitted with respect.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?