Sunday, November 27, 2005

 

CRY FOR HELP

The following email was sent to us by a correctional officer. It describes in graphic terms what staff deal with behind the walls.

Two inmates got into a fight in the housing unit. The inmate who was hurt was rushed to the hospital. If he lives, it will be a miracle. I was alone on a post where two are normally assigned. I scrambled to do the job by myself. Thank God, no staff was injured! I was wired all night long. For investigative purposes, the inmate's blood was left on the floor, so everyone who walks into that unit today will be traumatized by the gruesome display of violence that occurred there.

I know that inmates are violent, and that they are in prison for a reason. We all scoff at another one being taken off of the count, and we are thankful it was not staff. But the thought of another human being meeting his end or suffering through such an ordeal haunts my thoughts. I think about the ones I care for, and how I would feel if something like that ever happened to one of them. Even though they are convicts, it bothers me.

I pray for God's wisdom and peace to go back in today. I pray that it won't happen again today. I pray that my #2 (coworker) is not pulled (off his post). What if I don't do as good of a job next time? Please God, guide my hands and my mind when I react, help me do a good job. That is what I say when I bow my head before I walk into the dungeon. I thought I would share this with you. Please share it with the others in your organization. If they pray, have them pray for us all. Last night I saw the toll this is taking on our supervisors and administration too. I can see the creases of stress across their faces. My heart is going out to them. They feel like they are losing control. I want to help them, but I don't know what I can do other than do my job the best I know how.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?